Monday, August 14, 2017

Let's Talk About Charlottesville

August 14, 2017

Dear President Trump and To Whom it May Concern,

This picture terrifies me. It reminds me of a time when hiding your face and committing horrible crimes was acceptable. I am not sure much has changed, except now there are not many who are hiding their faces. I believe that racism exists on all sides. I don't believe anyone who participates in a riot is "right". (Let's be clear, this was a riot not a protest.)

I want you to read this statement and really think about what it may mean to you personally. "There is no reason to tear apart the fabric that created our country."

I will get personal for a moment. An abusive relationship is hard to live through, and if you make it through it and all are healed it is amazing and it is important not to forget how you got there and how you got out. I will always have a hole in my wall where my head went through. There is not need to patch it. It is my reminder of what we went through to have the great life we have now.

Tearing down a statue doesn't change what happened. Continuing to hate each other and make choices to "riot" about it seems like a useless event to me. A protest is worthy, a riot endangers lives and makes adults turn into children throwing temper tantrums.

How effect would their protest, which they had a permit for, had gone unnoticed by others? I would never put myself in a situation where two warring factions were meeting. Black Lives Matter and White Supremacists are warring factions. They are both exclusive in nature. They should never meet on a street to have an angry brawl. Didn't we learn anything from the Cowboys and the Indians?

I believe it would be amazing if the only people who showed up to the next "White Supremacist Protest" was the protester and the police. The next time Black Lives Matter has a protest, let it be the same. There is a big difference between the right to protest and the crime of riot. 

So here's a challenge to both sides. If you want to educate me in a civil and respectful manner ~ I am willing to learn. Will anyone from either side of the fence take me up on that?

Sincerely,

Trenna

No comments:

Post a Comment