Friday, August 18, 2017

So You Are Offended?

Dear President Trump,

I have a message I want to get to the thugs that tore down the statue in Durham. Yes, I do believe they are thugs and that they should be prosecuted. Just because something is offensive doesn't mean we destroy it.

You could avoid it. You could educate people about why you are offended. You could protest. (Protest means no violence and no destruction of property.) All of that would have been acceptable adult responsible behavior. Kicking a downed statue is just throwing a ridiculous tantrum and shows a great degree of ignorance. 

For example, I happen to find certain t-shirts very offensive. Would it be acceptable for me to carry a sign and say I thought it was bad and then tear it off everyone I saw wearing it? Would people tolerate that?

There is a place for civility in our society. If we have completely lost that, then there is not chance for a democracy and a dictatorship is our only solution.

Sincerely,
Trenna 

No comments:

Post a Comment