Thursday, May 4, 2017

My Whole World Changed Today

I was on my lunch break and I got the call. My brother was on his way to the hospital in an ambulance. I went to the counter, grabbed all of his medications, put them in a bag and headed to the hospital.

This evening we have moved to the second hospital. My brother is in ICU. I am here with paper and pen trying to sort out my feelings, fears and the situation.

In a matter of minutes at the first hospital they told me he had a crushed pelvis, broken hip, punctured lung, five broken ribs and bleeding on the brain. Then it changed to a broken femur, and broken ribs. I wasn’t confident in their ability to do anything so when they said they were transferring him to another hospital I was relieved.

But here we are in ICU educating the doctors about SLE Lupus and trying to get him care. It looks like surgery, a very long recovery and a whole lot of insurance drama.

At least he is alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment