Monday, May 22, 2017

National Vietnam War Day

March 29th

Dear President Trump,

This is a very tough post for me to write because it is close to my heart and family. When the Vietnam War was happening I was very unaware. I suppose that we didn't watch much tv and my parents probably kept me sheltered from the horrors of war.

I did kind of understand the draft. You had to go. There were options about where you might end up and recruiters were good to give all those who didn't dodge the draft those options. So in our family some people choose to take an extra year to serve in Korea.

As I look at the differences I am saddened. Those who went to Korea are very bitter and each of them tried to commit suicide on several occasions, two of them succeeded. As they learned of their high school friend dying in Nam - they were still alive in Korea and had desire to be there either. The guilt and mental torment never leaves. If they didn't serve in Nam - they get no help for that mental scar. It wasn't combat related. That is a mistake. They still need the help. They went straight from high school to the service, mixed up kids and harmful adults.

Thanks,
Trenna

Trenna

No comments:

Post a Comment